My name is Kyle. I am a happily failing indie/punk/folk/country/rock musician from Hampshire, UK. I have been singing and songwriting in The Dawn Chorus since 2005, and The Retrospective Soundtrack Players since 2010. I love these two bands like my brother/wife rolled into one. This blog details the shows I have played with both bands, in chronological order.
Friday 26th June 2009
The White Horse, Barnstaple
The Dawn Chorus
- Neil, Ben, Paul and Keef went silly early in the morning to surf play in the sun in Woollacombe. I say surf, Ben had a go and the other three carried the wet suits and boards and tried to pass themselves off as surfers. They were also kind enough to put the tents up for me and Matt (who had work) and to set up all the gear at the venue.
- The campsite was very swish and had a sauna and steam room. Very useful.
- Had a clotted cream ice cream at Woollacombe beach.
- Got to play 5 or 6 songs for the first time live without bodging anything too badly. 2nd album is pretty much written now.
- Got free food for everyone at the venue, including Joe (our, erm, driver) and Simone (our....girlfriend. well, neil's)
- I sang my guts out for 2 hours and kept my voice
- Nice cheque to pay for the weekend's camping and diesel.
Not so good points
- Neil was a silly boy and didn't sun cream again, leading to extreme lobster boy skin. Paul and Keith also felt it a little bit the next day. Silly boys.
- The gig was a bit of a damp squib, unfortunately one of those where the punters would probably have preferred if we weren't there so they could get their friday drinking done in peace. Ah, well. I had visions of a nice little smokey old pub, but unfortuantely it was a modern, swanky chain-style bar with a recently installed stage. But what can you do?